About Cyber Capacity Building
About Cyber Capacity Building (CCB explainer for the non-expert)
In the era of digital transformation, cybersecurity capacity building (CCB) is a powerful and necessary tool for change.
To better understand what CCB is, let us break it down into two.
Cybersecurity is the art of protecting networks, devices, and data from unauthorized access or criminal use. The main goal of cybersecurity is to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of information in the digital realm.
Capacity building is the process of developing and strengthening the skills, abilities, processes and resources that organizations and communities need to survive, adapt, and thrive in a fast-changing world. An key element of capacity building is sustainable transformation that goes beyond merely performing tasks, it also involves changing mindsets and attitudes.
Cyber capacity building (CCB)
- Together, cyber(security) capacity building is about equipping individuals and organizations with the knowledge, skills and tools they need to protect themselves and their digital assets.
- CCB is critical in today’s increasingly interconnected as digital threats continue to evolve and become more sophisticated.
- Protecting data and ensuring the resilience of critical infrastructure is essential for governments, businesses and individuals alike, and it is crucial for ensuring a free, open and secure digital future for all.
You can check the Cybil Knowledge Portal for cases that illustrate how CCB looks like on the ground.
How the GFCE contributes to CCB
Themes of CCB include:
- Cybersecurity Policy and Strategy
- Cyber Incident Management & Critical Information Protection
- Cyber crime
- Cybersecurity Culture and Skills
- Cyber Security Standards
The GFCE Working Groups are based on these themes and over 85% of the GFCE Community is involved in at least 1 Working Group. In these community driven groups, stakeholders collaborate together on CCB initiatives, producing reports or webinars as well as sharing knowledge.
The GFCE Clearing House also facilitates matchmaking between GFCE members who have cyber capacity needs with GFCE partners and implementers that can offer cyber capacity support. All in all, the GFCE is a pragmatic, action-oriented and flexible platform for international collaboration in cyber capacity building (CCB).